Since 2017, Cove Behavioral Health has partnered with education technology company EVERFI to provide RxSmart, an innovative digital course that arms high school students with the knowledge and tools to make healthy, informed decisions when it comes to prescription medications. Through interactive scenarios and self-guided activities, students learn the facts about drugs, how to properly use and dispose of them, and how to step in when faced with a situation involving misuse.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, RxSmart reached over 2,600 students in 13 schools across Hillsborough County. After taking RxSmart, students increased their post-course assessment scores by 49% and 72% of students reflected that the course helped them identify the signs of prescription drug abuse and misuse.
“I learned that misusing drugs is not something to joke about. It’s happening all around me, but now I know the signs and I feel like I can help someone.”
High School Student, Tampa, FL
“I really don’t think our students understand the magnitude of the crisis we’re facing. This program provides an opportunity for them to share what they’ve learned in a very positive way, not only to help inform their decisions, but also to help others.”
Principal, Hillsborough School District, FL
- Opioids, stimulants, and depressants
- Proper prescription drug use, storage, and disposal
- Brain and body: the science of addiction
- Simulations: refusal and bystander skills
- Debunking common myths
Bring RxSmart to your school
If you are a high school educator you can get started using the steps below – Otherwise, please reach out to Andrew McFarlane at email@example.com for more information.
- Go to the URL: www.everfi.com/register and select “Teacher”
- Enter Florida in the state search field, then search for your school
- Click Next
- Once you have finished filling out your profile, click on the “I agree to the terms of service” box and click “Next”
- Follow the prompts to create your classes and get started.
You Will Need:
- A computer with Internet access
- An updated web browser (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox recommended)
- This course is audio-based — headphones are recommended!
- Tech Issues? If you experience any issues while using the program, please call our tech support help line at (866) 652-3943. You can also click on the “HELP” tab inside your account for more tech support options.
- Questions? Contact Andrew McFarlane at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 356-4128